Call today to schedule your immigration consultation 954-385-0157 or email:

Blandon Law Immigration

Monday, June 13, 2011


PERM is the online system which allows employers to take the first step in sponsoring foreign nationals for legal permanent residency. In most cases, employers must demonstrate to Immigration that there are no U.S. workers for the job. This is done by obtaining a labor certification from the Dept. Of Labor.

In order to obtain a labor certification, employers must register with the PERM system and file the application. Although this is a complex system and one misstatement on the application results in denial of a case that takes years to reach decision, attorneys are not allowed to register on behalf of their employer clients.

Thursday, June 2, 2011


Foreign nationals who are improperly detained have several ways to obtain release. One of the oldest methods is by filing a writ of habeas corpus. This lawsuit, filed in court, basically challenges the authority of the enforcement agency to hold a foreign national in detention. Because this is a specialized aspect of immigration law, the family members or friends of the detained foreign national should absolutely discuss the matter with an experienced professional.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

E-mail newsletter

Blandon Law sends an e-mail newsletter on topics of interest relating to immigration. These newsletters are sent about every three months to subscribers. They include updates on laws, testimonials from happy clients, as well as information that helps all clients. For example, one newsletter explains how social media networks provide value by connecting the immigration lawyer to foreign nationals throughout the world.

To subscribe, send an e-mail request to and write NEWSLETTER in the Subject line.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Green Card

Legal permanent residents receive a green card when they receive their new status. A green card is much like a wedding ring -- even if it is lost, a person is still married. Likewise, a foreign national maintains status as a legal permanent resident even if the green card expires or is lost or stolen.

Before renewing the green card, foreign nationals should consider applying for naturalization.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Definition: Fiances and their Children

A fiance visa is available to bring a foreign national into the United States specifically for the purpose of marriage.  This might be a better alternative than marrying the foreign national abroad, especially if the foreign national has children.  The foreign national's children can enter on a K-2 visa until the age of 21 years of age.

There is currently litigation about whether K-2 visa holders can obtain residency after they become 21 years old. 

Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Foreign nationals with extraordinary abilities can obtain visas to come to the U.S. temporarily or legal permanent residency which allows them to remain indefinitely. The term does not refer simply to someone whose skills are above ordinary, but rather are reserved for those who make up the top echelon in their field.
The best way to prepare a case based on extraordinary skills and achievements is to narrow the field of specialty. The foreign nationals may not be extraordinary attorneys, but perhaps they are extraordinary immigration attorneys specializing in employment visas.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Board of Immigration Appeals

The Board of Immigration Appeals reviews the decisions of Immigration Judges and some of the decisions of the Dept. of Homeland Security.  Thus, an appeal of a denial by an Immigration Judge is reviewed by the Board.  Among those DHS decisions reviewed by the Board are the following:

Decisions involving fines and penalties
Appeals by petitioners relating to discretionary revocations of family-based petitions
Decisions involving 212(d)(3) waivers of inadmissibility for nonimmigrants
Some decisions relating to bond and detention

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Consular processing

Consular processing generally refers to obtaining immigrant and non-immigrant visas in posts (embassies and consulates) of the Department of State throughout the world.  Foreign nationals may obtain non-immigrant visas to enter the United States temporarily.  Consul officials also have the authority to grant immigrant visas, with which foreign nationals enter the United States with the intent to remain permanently as legal permanent residents.  Once the immigrants arrive, the processing is completed in the United States and the green cards usually arrive in the mail. 

Spouses of U.S. citizens who live abroad are a special category.  They also undergo consular processing for K-3 visas, which demonstrate an immigrant intent.  However, K-3 visa holders must apply for legal permanent residency after they enter the United States.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Adjustment of Status

This is the process by which a foreign national, who is in the United States, applies for legal permanent residence.  Sometimes, the foreign nationals must attend an immigration interview before a government officer.  While the adjustment of status case is pending, the foreign national is allowed to remain in the United States.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Mascot for the New Year

     The law firm has a new office pet:  Snowball the cat.  He has a sweet disposition, blue eyes and white hair.  With his loud purr, we considered calling him Ford (like the name of a Miami Immigration Judge and the well-known auto company).  We also considered names like Freedom, Justice and Dream.  This last name recognizes the law we are hoping will pass in 2011.
     Snowball was the name given by the Humane Society of Broward County.
    Although clients might see him about, the conference room and the lobby are cat-free zones.  We always seeks to make our clients happy.

General Frequently Asked Questions

Call today to schedule your immigration consultation

954-385-0157 or email: